I’m here with another natural hair tip! Todays tip is going to be about protective styling.Now we all know how good protective styling can be.
BENEFITS OF PROTECTIVE STYLING:
- Allows you to give your hair a break
- Prevents you from over manipulating your hair
- It allows you to retain growth
- & depending on what you choose to do for your protective style, it allows you to change up your look and do something different.
Now as we all know, as good as protective styling can be, you can also cause yourself to not get any benefits as well. One thing some people tend to forget is the fact even though you are wearing your hair in a protective style, you need to still protect your hair that is underneath that style.
For example, I know when people do styles like senegalese twists or box braids, they will do something to ensure their scalp stays clean and free of flakes and then follow up with an oil. As we know, after a week or so, our scalps tend to begin itching when we have braids in and some times that can lead to flakes which in turn leads to a dirty scalp.
You should also make sure that you are at least keep the braids moisturized as well. Most people usually spray their hair with water or a water/conditioner mix and then seal it with an oil.
Another to take in consideration when getting a protective style such as braids, is the person doing them. You don’t want your braids to be too tight to where it’s pulling on your edges. I mean, we can’t be walking around with no edges, so we gotta protect them! (lol) If they are braiding your hair too tight, tell them. If they can’t get it right, personally, I would leave. Not everyone knows how to handle natural hair. If you get your hair braided and leave with a headache because of it, I would take my hair down.
Obviously you want your style to last, but too tight can result in other problems in the long run.
Some protective style that I have done throughout my journey (I make crazy faces in some of pics, so don’t mind that lol):
What are some tips you have for protective styling?? Leave them in the comment section below! =)
A few blogs to check out, in case you missed them:
- Natural Hair Tip #2 : Water
- Style | Braid & Curl (Birthday Hair!)
- *New Blog Series* Natural Hair Tip #1 : Wide Tooth Combs
- January 2017 | Monthly Wrap Up
- Birthday Splurge | First Product Haul
- 10% Off Your First CurlKit
- Interested in shopping rebates? Join my team on Ibotta!! (I promise, it’s legit!)
FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA!
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE SO YOU CAN KNOW WHEN I POST SOMETHING NEW! =)